Dear SDBA Judge (or judge to be),
Thank you for considering participation as a judge for the San Diego Book Awards Association!
If you are willing to judge this year, please answer the following:
1. What are your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices of category (see below)?
2. What is your mailing address (so we can send you the books)?
· Short Story
· Novel for Children Age 9-12
· Novel for Children Age 12 and up
· Young Adult (YA) Novel
· Poetry Chapbook
Once you receive the books, please read critically and keep in mind that each book should be evaluated on its own and as a competitor to the other books in the category. There’s no need to return them. As a judge, you keep all books sent to you.
A minimum of three judges read each book, and evaluations are averaged between the judges. The overall score is combined, and your choice of genre winner helps determine the order of the finalists and the SDBA winner. If you think one of the entries deserves extra recognition, please nominate it for a Geisel (Best Published) or Chet (Best Unpublished) Award.
Comments are also very helpful, so please use additional pages if needed to describe each book’s strengths and weaknesses. Most authors have included a SASE and will receive a copy of your judging sheet. Additional comments on the back are appreciated. Please remember that these books are labors of love. Comments addressing the book’s strengths and weaknesses should be instructive, constructive, and kind, but honest.
Contact us below if:
- You would like to judge in one or more genres
- You need additional evaluation forms (which will be sent to you by the Judging Chair of your category)
- You would like a certificate of participation for judging the SDBA Book and Writing Awards