THE WINDOW FOR SUBMITTING PUBLISHED AND UNPUBLISHED WORKS IS CURRENTLY CLOSED.
FORMS AVAILABLE ONLY DURING THE SUBMISSION WINDOW
OCTOBER 1, 2020 THRU DECEMBER 31, 2020
Published Submission Guidelines
- All submissions remain the literary property of the writer.
- Entries postmarked outside of the submission window will not be judged and may not be returned.
- Books submitted for the current competition (awards presented in June of the following year) must have been published or copyrighted in the appropriate year.
- Incomplete entries or entries received after the deadline will not be judged.
- Submissions received with postage due will be discarded, not judged.
- Self-published books are eligible if they have been professionally written, edited, and printed. If self-published entries are not presented in a professional manner, the judges have the option not to judge the entry. The entry fee will not be refunded.
- E-books are eligible, but they must be submitted in printed form.
- More than one title by the same author may be submitted. Each submission must be accompanied by a separate submission form and submission fee.
- Anthologies with more than one contributing author are accepted.
- Books will not be returned to the author(s).
- Send completed entries to San Diego Book Awards, P.O. Box 6487, Oceanside, CA 92052-6487.
- The entry fee for each Published submission is $45.00.
Entry fees are payable via check, or you may pay with your credit card using our SDBA STORE option.
Please include a check or payment receipt with your books and form submission.
| General Fiction|
Mainstream, Literary, etc.
Science Fiction, Fantasy, etc.
Mystery, Suspense, Horror, Thriller, etc.
Short Story Collection (single author)
Anthology (single or multiple authors)
Young Adult Fiction
| General Nonfiction|
Humor, Business, History, Travel,
(Auto)Biography, Military, Politics,
Religious, Spiritual, Self-help, Inspirational, etc.
which includes picture books, arts & crafts,
Young Adult Nonfiction
Published book categories include fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. Each book will only be judged in only one category. Winners of a category award will be selected from the top finalists from each category. Only finalists and winners will be notified of their status.
Categories (and their subcategories) are listed on the entry form. The final categories and the number of finalists each year is dependent on the number of entries.
Submitting Your Published Entry
Submission Package Must Include:
* Number of Copies: Authors must submit FOUR copies of each book or printed e-book.
* Submission form: A completed, signed, and dated submission form must accompany each submission.
* Fee: A nonrefundable submission fee of $45.00 must accompany each submission. Make checks payable to San Diego Book Awards (four copies, one form, one check).
* Optional Self-addressed stamped postcard for us to send to you to verify that we received your entry.
Finalists in each category will be posted shortly before the winner post. Winners and finalists will be posted together by June 15th. Winners will be promoted on the SDBA website.
All published books, submission forms, and entry fees must be postmarked by the deadline of the current contest year(s).
Entries postmarked after that date WILL NOT BE JUDGED and may not be returned.