We’re preparing for a new year, and we need volunteers.
Commit to 2 hours, 2 days, 2 weeks – we have all kinds of positions available. From judging chairs to judges, fundraisers to trophy guards, and of course the writers who have continued to make SDBA an iconic part of San Diego writing.
We can’t do this without you!
Currently seeking in various areas:
- Bloggers – Guest bloggers wanted! Submit your items for review!
- Copier person – Copy/scan correspondence for filing/processing (forms, judging sheets, etc.)
On occasion as needed.
- Email Liaison – Answer standard emails with form letters prepared by the board. Forward non-standard emails to appropriate board member.
1 hour a week throughout the year.
- Fundraising – Find donors to contribute to the Book Awards, occasional grant writing (such as for the SD County Board of Supervisors grant and appear at the annual meeting where awards are granted).
8-10 hours throughout the year as needed
- Mail Sorter – Assist with logging in entries, separating books and manuscripts into categories for various judging chairs.
8-12hrs throughout the month of January
- Sticker liaison– Send out stickers to winners. Receive order email, pack, and take stickers to the post office.
Four hours over the course of the year.
- Reception Table Attendant – Sign in attendees and take new registrations at the awards ceremony.
Six hours – 4 pm to 10 pm on the evening of the awards ceremony.
- Proofreaders – Go over website entries, the list of winners sent to trophy company, ceremony program, PowerPoint for the ceremony. Send to board members for approval. This job may not be filled by anyone who is a friend/family member of any finalists.
- 8 – 10 hours at various points throughout the year
- Public Relations Liaison/intern – Send press releases to various community newspapers and writers groups, liaison with various writers’ conferences/book fairs/writing groups.
4-6 hours at various points throughout the year
- Trophy Coordinator – Send the list of winners to trophy company. Pick up trophies. Deliver trophies to the ceremony. Arrange trophies on the table at the awards ceremony in order of how they will be presented. Arrange for and mail new trophies if any have been etched incorrectly. This job may not be filled by anyone who is a friend/family member of one of the finalists.
1-2 hours weekly from the middle of May to ceremony in June.
- Typists – Type up various documents such as the trophy list and ceremony program. Send to a proofreader. This job may not be filled by anyone who is a friend/family member of any finalists.
5-6 hours throughout the year.
Join the fun!
We are happy to hear from you with ideas and schedules. Contact us for details.
THANK YOU ALL in advance for your involvement!