To celebrate the end of 2017, we at SDBA are honored to now have stickers available for those who have entered and become finalists. As a special thank you for those who have submitted so bravely in previous years, this is our way of letting you know your hard work and support have not gone unnoticed.
It’s almost time to receive SDBA entries for the Published! On, January 1, 2018, we will open up the guidelines and include the Published Entry Form (currently not on the site because we’re in the Unpublished Entry Window).
We look forward to reading your works from 2017.
Best of luck!
Individuals and corporations
open their hearts and wallets
on a national day
to giving back.
The San Diego Book Awards Association is a 501c3 nonprofit, and we could not do what we do without your continued gifts and support.
Calling all Unpublished Entries for the
2018 San Diego Book Awards!
Entry fee for each Unpublished Novel/Novels for Children/Memoir submission is $30.00.
SDBA Entry Form – UNPUBLISHED Novel, Novel for Children, and Memoir
Entry fee for each Unpublished Short Story/Poetry Chapbook submission is $15.00.
SDBA Entry Form – UNPUBLISHED Poetry Chapbook and Short Story
- The submission period for unpublished entries will begin on October 1, 2017, and end on November 30, 2017.
- The San Diego Book Awards competition is open to current residents of San Diego County only.
- If a manuscript has multiple authors, at least one must reside within San Diego County. Manuscripts by former residents of San Diego County will not be considered.
- Judging in the Unpublished Novel/Novels for Children/Memoir category is a two-step process:
- Entrants will submit the first thirty pages of their novel or memoir for preliminary judging.
- Finalists will be chosen from those entries and will be asked to send in their complete manuscripts for final judging. Finalists will be notified by phone or email before April 1, 2017.
- Writers may submit more than one entry in more than one category, but a separate submission fee and entry form must accompany each entry.
- All submissions remain the literary property of the writer.
- Incomplete entries or entries received after the deadline will not be judged.
- Submissions received with postage due will be discarded and not judged.
Please Note: The unpublished competition is open only to writers who have never:
…….** published a short story (if entering in the short story competition)
…….** published a poetry chapbook (if entering in the poetry chapbook competition)
…….** published a full-length novel (if entering the novel/novel for children competition)
…….** published a memoir (if entering the memoir competition).
If you are submitting a novel for children, be sure to indicate the age/grade level on the cover page. Middle grade (grades 3, 4, 5), middle school (grades 6, 7, 8), and young adult/YA (high school and above). Remember, children like to read stories with protagonists older than they are. If you’re writing for young adults, don’t have the protagonist be 12 years old.
Deadline: November 30, 2017. Entries postmarked after that date will not be judged.
Susan Vreeland Memorial — Celebration of Life
The event will be Thursday, September 21, 12:30 PM at the Spreckels Organ Pavilion in Balboa Park, San Diego.
After the 12:30 Public Event in Balboa Park there will be a private reception at another location.
Feel free to pass this information along.
Kip Gray (Susan’s husband)
At long last, our winner sticker is available for digital use! You can add it to your book covers, press releases, and website! The file comes as a PNG.
And don’t worry, our regular stickers are still available at our store!
COMING SOON – FINALIST STICKERS!
Don’t forget to enter this year’s contest!
10/1/17 – 11/30/17 Unpublished Entry Window
1/1/18 – 1/31/18 Published Entry Window
The 2017 SDBA Finalists will be listed after May 15th. STAY TUNED!
2017 SDBA Ceremony
June 10th, 6 p.m.
Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
3299 Holiday Ct.
La Jolla CA 92037, USA
Occupancy is limited, but tickets are now on sale! $29.00 for ticket purchases BEFORE May 26, 2017. $35.00 after the early bird deadline.
Tickets can be purchased via check (Just mail it to SD Book Awards, P.O. Box 6487, Oceanside, CA 92052. *Please make checks payable to SD Book Awards) or purchase them here via PayPal.
*Please spell out the full name of all attendees at the time of ticket purchase so we will have name tags for everyone at the ceremony. If you’re mailing in your registration, write the names on a separate sheet and include with your check. If you’re paying by PayPal, write the names in the “comments” section. If for any reason the comment section does not appear, please email us your attendees names at SDbookawards@gmail.com